Fort Margherita, Sept. 2014

Kuching’s Fort Margherita is reopened to the public after an extensive 14 months restoration, which was supported by the SHS.

It will host a gallery on the Sarawak’s Brooke and British colonial era.  The Brooke Gallery is being set up by the Sarawak Museum Department with support of the Brooke Heritage Trust, the Friends of the Sarawak Museum and the British Museum.

Besides, the Minister of Tourism “requested DBKU (Kuching North City Council) to construct a cascading waterfall built in the area of with the lights on at night”.

The fort was built by the second Rajah Sir Charles Brooke in 1879, with a English Renaissance castle design.

Opening hours : weekdays : 9am to 4.45 pm  –   weekends and public holidays: 10 am to 4 pm  –  Closed on certain public holidays

Admission is free.

 Sources / read more:

  • Borneo Post, September 5, 2014,

“Fort Margherita back to former glory”

  • Borneo Post, September 6, 2014

“Cascading waterfall at Fort Margherita mulled”

  • Borneo Post,  August 24, 2014

“Skulls returned to Fort Margherita following miring”