Following similar events hold in Singapore and Bangkok, the first Kuching Heritage Race will take place Saturday 30 January. An initiative of travel industry stakeholders, it is a charity event organized by a committee of local volunteers including SHS members.
A good occasion for an outing with family or friends to discover or to reacquaint oneself with Kuching’s diverse, in some cases hidden or forgotten cultural heritage.
What and how:
- Teams of 2 to 6 members. Open to all (visitors, note!). Max 200 participants.
- 3-4 km walk through Central Kuching to answer questions or carry out activities based on the clues and instructions given.
- Not necessary to know a lot of history to be able to win because the clues are all there.
- Each team to have at least someone with a smartphone.
- Teams that get the most answers correct and get all the stamps within two hours will qualify for a lucky draw to win the first, second and third cash prizes (RM1,000, RM 500, RM 250). Meaning: it’s not about being the fastest!
- RM 50 per participant.
- “Funds raised during the event will go to charities that are often overlooked and under-funded. The aim of this race is to raise at least RM 20,000, mainly from sponsors, for the Breakthrough Ministries, which in turn purchase the required instruments and other items for “Meeting Needs.” Meeting Needs is a NGO that assists under-privileged families, especially those with special needs children.” (Kuching Heritage Race website).
- Makan and goodies: breakfast, lunch and a goodies bag will be provided to the participants.
When: Saturday 30 January 9:00 to 11:00 am. Participants to report from 8 am.
Where: Starts and ends at Granary Kitchen and Bar, Wayang Street.
08.00-8.45 – Check in and registration (coffee will be served)
8.45-9.00 – Welcome & briefing
9.00 – Flag-off
11.00 – Race ends (participants must return by 11am to qualify for lucky draw)
11.00 onward – Closing & prize giving
12.00 – Lunch & wrapping up